Moscow Aviation Institute (National Research University). Since its inception MAI has been spearheading advances in aerospace technology both within Russia and worldwide. The university laid emphasis on laboratory instruction in applied science and engineering, specific to demands of the aerospace industry. Research conducted in the university contributed to heralding the space age.
In 2016 MAI adopted a new development strategy, hugely intensifying our presence on a global market. Since then we’ve been developing new programs, connections, inclusive infrastructure and following top trends of higher education market.
As a result, in 2019 MAI takes part in most prestigious international and regional university rankings:
- MAI has been selected among the top 400 universities in the world, and among the Russian universities listed in the top 25 in the Times Higher Education Emerging Economies University Rankings 2019.
- MAI was included in Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019 edition into the list of top-20 Russian Universities;
- MAI entered the 2019 Times Higher Education World University Rankings for Engineering & Technology, being ranked Top-15 in Russia.
- Since the establishment of both rankings MAI has been included in QS BRICS University Rankings and QS EECA University Rankings, now being listed among top-30 Russian Universities.
On the way to Russian University elite group, in 2019, MAI has recently established a strong position in most comprehensive national academic rankings:
- RAEX Ranking Agency: MAI entered top-25 in National Universities Rankings; was awarded a diploma in the nomination Development of International Integration; took the 15th place in the nomination “The Relevance of Graduates by Employers”.
- In inventive activity rankings from Expert Analytical Center MAI has taken 3rd position.
- In Expert Analytical Center subject Rankings MAI hold the 25th position on 4 subjects: IT, Engineering, Mathematics and Materials Science.
- MAI is in the list of top-10 Russian Universities by Forbes elite factor.
- According to popular headhunting portal Superjob MAI has got into the list of top-10 Russian technical Universities by alumni employability.
MAI is constantly in touch with industry and takes part in all major projects of its partners. MAI collaborates with Russian and foreign corporations and organizations such as the United Aircraft Corporation, the state corporations “Roscosmos” and “Rostec”, COMAC, Safran, ENAC, BrahMos Aerospace, HAL, and others. 120 cooperation contracts for research and innovation activities were signed.
MAI has the newest and unique equipment which allows it to conduct advanced researches. These are:
- resource centers and research laboratories;
- design bureaus, including ones for students;
- mission control center;
- experimental pilot plant;
On July 1, 2019, international students of MAI started their summer manufacturing practice at the experimental plant of MAI.
Seventeen second-year students of Bachelor’s degree programs in Aircraft Engineering, Spacecraft Engineering, Propulsion Engineering and Control Systems and Computer Science in Engineering will undergo the practical internship during two weeks. Manufacturing practice is mandatory for all students to transition from the second to the third year of study.
For students from Malaysia, Sri Lanka, India, South Africa, Mexico, Italy, Tunisia and Zimbabwe this is the second experience of such practiсe. Last year, they had an internship at the State Machine Building Design Bureau “Vympel” named after I.I. Toropov.
At the MAI plant implementation of experimental work related to the MAI research, development, creation and introduction of new technology is being done. Aircraft and helicopters, parts of aircraft and spacecraft, prototypes of devices, stands, models are manufactured.
The training course is aimed at combining the theory with practical skills. During the internship at the experimental plant of MAI under the care of experienced specialists, students will form the understanding not only of individual processes, but also comprehensive view of the activities of a modern high-tech enterprise.
In addition, the practise is focused on global experience in business education. Within the framework of the internship, students will gain knowledge of international academic and practical experience from DMG Mori Company, main partner of MAI plant .
Students will learn the basics of the technological process of machining parts on machine tools with programmed control, methods of performing work on universal metal-cutting equipment, and will make a product on a milling machine.
Upon successful completion of the practice every student will receive a certificate and practise specialization: Mechanical Operation (including on equipment with numerical control). The next group of international students will start their internship in autumn 2019.